Capt. Harold R. Owen registered the design of this car in 1932 with No.
778898. It needs to be added though that "…A.F. McNeil of Gurney Nutting
almost certainly refined it into a workable idea…" stated by Tom
Clarke in his book "The Rolls-Royce 20/25 H.P.". There did occur some
friction later because H.R.Owen was keen to insist on royalties if other
coachbuilders’ creations showed close relation to the design that he had
The coachwork on #GLG31 was one of 23 more or less identical bodies erected
by Gurney Nutting on the 20/25 H.P. chassis to this famous "Owen" D.38
design. Usually these cars were delivered through H.R.Owen Ltd who owned
Gurney Nutting. The design was one of the most coveted body styles on
Rolls-Royce from the pre-war period; indeed a considerable number were built
on the Phantom II chassis, too.