Each Model ever built
Frequently Asked Questions
More details in
Phantom II /Phantom II Continental
(1929 - 1936)
Phantom II, 1931, #AJS250. From a special left hand drive chassis series
especialliy for the American market is this Phantom II with a Brewster
body, given on the chassis card as 'St. Martin Brougham'.
The Rolls-Royce Phantom II was the last of the great six cylinder cars
whose development from first draft to completion had entirely been
supervised by F. Henry Royce himself. Incorporating radical design changes
from its predecessor, the Phantom I, the new car took the company into the
new decade. When launched in 1929 it impressed in surpassing in every
facet of design excellence and manufacturing technique even the Silver
Ghost. The engine and gearbox were in unit construction. The rear springs
were now underslung, replacing the previously used cantilever suspension
thus enhancing to mount most elegant bodies of lower overall appearance.
The front axle had been designed to provide ultimate stability in braking
at speed. As a more sporty version to be fitted with particularly light
coachwork the Rolls-Royce Phantom II Continental distinguished itself from
the basic model.
Rolls-Royce Phantom II Continental, 1933, #7MW, Arthur Mulliner
Saloon. The coachbuilder Arthur Mulliner of Northampton is not to be
confused with the London-based coachbuilder H.J. Mulliner.
6 cylinder in-line engine in two groups of three, bore x stroke 108 x
139.7 mm (4 1/4 in 1/2 in), capacity 7,668 cc; push-rod operated valves
located in one-piece detachable aluminium alloy cylinder head; aluminium
alloy crankcase, dual ignition with coil and magneto; single dry plate
type clutch; 4 speed gearbox in unit with engine (from 1932 synchromesh on
3rd and 4th gear; from 1935 synchromesh on 2nd gear); hypoid bevel final
drive, suspension by semi-elliptic springs front and rear; 4-wheel-brakes
servo-assisted; wheelbase 3,657.6 mm or 3,810 mm (144 in or 150 in); tyre
size 7.00 x 21 (from 1930 tyre size 7 x 20; from 1933 tyre size 7.00 x 19;
from 1935 optional tyre size 7.00 x 17)
Phantom II Continental, 1930, #48GX, Barker saloon. For better weight
distribution Rolls-Royce encouraged coachbuilders to suggest the
rear-mounted instead of side-mounted spare wheels.
Phantom II Continental
Phantom II altogether (RHD 1555, LHD 125)